Filmmaker | Curator | Organizer | Educator

Miami | Fort Lauderdale | Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Shane Eason is a time based media artist, curator and educator living and practicing in the metro Miami and Fort Lauderdale area. His formal experimental films are conscience studies in self identity and abstraction with subtle hints of documentation. His film and video work has screened internationally in festivals and art galleries. Currently, bills are paid by teaching as a cinema production professor at Florida Atlantic University.

winter | night | toronto | 2008

winter | night | toronto | 2008

winter | day | miami | 2008

winter | day | miami | 2008

7.02.2009

Who's Jimmy Buffett?

I recently spent 3 days in Key West. It was this past Memorial Day weekend. My partner Sheena and I stayed with a local artist and friend Nik who has a nice cottage style home in the heart of "old town". Nik has her home turned into an independent gallery and shop. She has a flair for the swingin' 60's and two very cute dachshunds. Next time I'll be sure to take my dog to join in on the entertainment. Check the place out, along with her art work and store at Art Zodiac and at Etsy.

We spent a lot of time walking the streets filling our mouths with food and drink. We found a number of good restaurants where everyone from out of town goes, such as The Bull & Whistle and Hogs Breath but a small, 24 hour cuban take out/laundromat called Sandy's Cafe stood out. To our surprise, the food there was amazing. I had a great cuban sandwich there, among other dishes. I think we had eaten there 3-4 times, plus it was only a half block from the house.
We also spent time socializing and watching the locals (or conchs), avoiding free roaming chickens in the streets and hitting the beach where the water is so shallow that small, white angel fish would follow us in our shadows. We also took time to wander into the Garden of Eden, a clothing optional club on a Duval Street rooftop. We kept our closes on.

We took time out to see the Hemingway House and the poly dactyl cats that roam the property. We drove by Tennessee Williams Theatre but did not venture in. Its part of the Florida Keys Community College and they were on a summer schedule.

Aside, I was also able to burn a few rolls of 7280 Ektachrome film. I still need to process it, but I will be going back down by this summer's end to burn a few more rolls, this time in the middle keys. Not sure where I am going to use the footage but I am indeed working on a film based installation entitled "erosion", so maybe this is where is could be useful. I'll keep everyone posted.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12.5.10

    Totally off subject but My name Is also Shane Eason and my brothers name is Christian Eason. Kinda strange

    ReplyDelete